Municipal pools and natural pools
- Natural pools of Villanueva del Conde: Towards Garcibuey, take the old road just before the viaduct. There is a bar and grill. (5 minutes from our country cottages.)
- Natural pools of Garcibuey “La Palla”: 10 minutes from our cottages.
- El Pielago:Halfway between Alagón bridges (location of the petrol station) and the village of Valero, we find that huge and beautiful natural pool formed by the river Alagón shortly after it joins the river Quilama. Children can play safely and parents can enjoy a swim. (20 minutes from our country cottages.)
- Natural pools in Sierra de Francia: There are many more places where you can cool off in the crystal clear rivers.One of these is the natural pools of St. Martin del Catañar, La Bastida, Las Mestas (in Hurdes, Extremadura), and Valero.
Trails and routes through the Sierra de Francia
More than 100 km of roads and marked trails allow you to discover different landscapes: From rugged peaks to lush valleys. Check the links on this page to see the possibilities. There are also stunning unmarked routes, but as they are in bird protection areas (SPAs areas), are subject to strict rules such as traffic outside the nesting period (between September and March).
‘Art in Nature’ paths
4 routes that combine the beauty of the landscapes, the mysteries of the places and artistic interventions. 4 ways to look and feel differently.
- Camino de los Prodigios: A circular route of 10 km ,average difficulty linking Villanueva with Miranda.
- Camino Asentadero-Bosque de los espejos: Circular Route 9 Kms easy. linking Sequeros with San Martín and Casas del Conde.
- Camino del agua: Circular route of medium difficulty 6 Kms linking Mogarraz with Monforte.
- Camino de las raíces: Circular Route 8 Kms and low difficulty around the village of La Alberca.
Discover the Sierra like no one else
Do not forget to visit our blog trails, with detailed descriptions of the routes, photos and maps. Read the spanish Blog
Outdoor Sports Companies
Parque de aventuras Vael Equipe: Circuits in trees with bridges, zip lines, networks, etc … Paintball. Archery. Climbing … San Miguel de Valero. (30 minutes from our country cottages.)
Parque de cuerdas de La alberca: Move through the trees safely in the new rope park of La Alberca next to the Park House. (20 minutes from our country cottages.)
Turismoactiva: canoeing, bungee jumping, paintball, climbing, canyoning.
Outdoor Activo: Based in Huertas, near Salamanca, this young and dynamic company offers you a range of activities including canoeing, bungee jumping, paintball, climbing, canyoning.
Horse Riding/Pony trekking: Picadero de Tamames. You can take a nice walk in the country with elegant and well tamed horses, enjoying the Campo Charro, suitable for anyone regardless of age or experience. (20 minutes from our country cottages.)
Bird watching: Birding in Spain’s Wild West offers birding routes and initiation to ornithology for adults and children. The guide speak english very well.
Estación de esquí de La Covatilla: In the Sierra de Béjar, over 2000 meters, the ski station La Covatilla. There are 31 pistes, some several kilometers, and for all levels. (1 hour from our country cottages.)
Museums and information centres
Soleae: Oleotourism (Herguijuela): Organic olive oil tasting and guided visits by a very nice young couple. (20 minutes from our country cottages.)
Vinos Cámbrico: Wine Tourism (Villanueva del Conde): The organic winery “Cambrico” offers a tour of their vineyards and wine tasting: The aromas of the Sierra and the aromas of the wine is the theme of the tour. (2 minutes from our country cottages.)
Casa del Parque (La Alberca): This is an information point in Batuecas Natural Park. In addition to exhibits that explain the fauna and flora of the Sierra, you can find all the marked trail maps.
Casa Museo Sátur Juanela (La alberca): Traditional medieval house with furniture and fixtures that makes us go back in time.
Bodega La Muralla (Miranda del Castañar): Shop/museum of an old wine cellar dug along the walls of the castle.
Museo Etnográfico Casa de las Artesanías (Mogarraz): This museum brings together a diverse sample of the rich heritage and cultural identity of the área.
El centro León Felipe (Sequeros): Organizes puppet shows, concerts and theater throughout the year. See their blog for a Schedule.
Traditional Festivals: Throughout the year, many ancient festivals continue to take place. Such as the Tora in Villanueva during Carnival or the theatrical representation of the Loa in Alberca. You can inquire at the Casa del Parque which festivals will be taking place during your stay. In summer, the inhabitants of the Sierra de Francia organize their celebrations, with parades, dances and bullfights.
On this map, you can organize your holidays by finding the sites to visit but you will also find dispensaries, pharmacies, gas stations, swimming pools, etc …